The Government of the Republic of Moldova has made significant progress towards achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). However, MDGs are unlikely to be met unless targeted laws, policies and programmes are developed and implemented to ensure their meaningful and sustainable achievement.
Despite efforts by authorities to bring children into the educational system, the coverage of the general compulsory education has constantly decreased (from 95.1 percent in 2002 to 90.7 in 2009). The causes of the fall in the enrolment rates are related to the continuing levels of high poverty, especially in families with many children. In urban areas, the rate of enrolment in both pre-school and compulsory education is higher than in rural communities. Children in rural areas, children with disabilities and Roma children have a much lower enrolment rate in pre-school education . Anti-Romani antipathy appears to be an issue in a number of schools. These issues have not yet been adequately addressed, despite international review body recommendations. Some flaws in the recording system and a lack of continuity in the provision of data by the Ministry of Education have made it difficult to monitor progress in this area.
UNDP will engage with the Ministry of Education to support access to quality education as well as meaningful inclusion of children with disabilities, including learning disabilities. Assistance will be provided to abolish discriminatory regulations towards disadvantaged children, promote targeted social assistance, deinstitutionalization and meaningful inclusion in the society, with special focus on Roma children.
The objective of the engagement is to assist the Ministry of Education in reviewing the existing education policies and in implementing the necessary reform measures complying to the international human rights standards in the area of education.
SCOPE OF WORK, RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESCRIPTION OF THE PROPOSED ANALYTICAL WORK
In order to achieve the objectives the contractor shall:
- Review the existing education policies, plans, and strategies, particularly focusing on their relevance, coherence, continuity, and conformity with broad national development agenda.
- Identify shortfalls with respect to international commitments and national targets, and their root causes.
- Analyse factors which have affected quality, efficiency and effectiveness of various programmes in the field of education
- Support to the implementation of priority development needs of education sector for the next five years according to the Governmental Programme and to the international engagements of the Government Moldova in the education sector
- Recommend sector-wide and programme-specific strategies and actions for improving the education sector in Moldova.
- Strengthening the social dialogue and the dialogue with the members of the Eastern Partnership
REQUIREMENTS FOR EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Academic Qualifications: University or MA degree in Education, Social Sciences or any other relevant field
- Years of experience: Proven 4 years professional experience in the area of education policies
- Proven professional experience in human rights, including familiarity with relevant international and regional human rights law pertaining to the inclusion of children into education;
- Knowledge of the national institutional, legal and policy frameworks in the area of education;
- Experience in drafting policy frameworks
- Demonstrated experience in comparative analysis, research, monitoring, assessment/evaluations in social inclusion and human rights areas;
Personal qualities: responsibility, creativity, flexibility and punctuality.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills;
- Advanced law, policy and professional document drafting abilities;
- Strategic thinking ability;
- Good PC skills, ability to use the Internet;
- Fluency in English, Romanian and Russian
For more details, please read the Terms of Reference and Individual Consultant Procurement Notice.
DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE PROPOSALS
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Cover Letter addressing the criteria above
2. Financial proposal
- Financial offer (fee per day in USD , number of working days)
3. Personal CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 2 references
The financial proposal will specify the daily fee in USD. Payments are made to the Individual Consultant based on the number of days worked.