Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Officer contributes to the effective and efficient implementation of the Moldova Energy and Biomass project. The incumbent applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Renewable Energy Officer works in close collaboration with the Business Development Project Officer, Engineer Project Officer, Community Mobilization Project Officers, and the rest of the Project Team, and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery.
The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Summary of Key Functions:
The Project Officer Engineer/Renewable Energy will be part of the Project Management Team (PMT), under the overall supervision of the Project Manager and Business Development Project Officer. The main role of the Renewable Energy Project Officer is to provide technical expertise to all activities relating to the implementation of component 1 (Installation of 130 heating systems in public buildings, fuel supply, market environment) and component 2 (biomass household heating, industrial cogeneration, briquetting).
The incumbent will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the project) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients. More specifically:
Municipal biomass heating and fuel-supply projects
a) Support the preliminary technical appraisal of the expressions of interest received from communities, and assist in prioritising interested communities for awareness-raising and capacity assessment.
b) Take part in the participatory appraisal of community projects and contribute to the required assessments, incl. technical and economic feasibility, environmental and health impacts, security, and risks, following the established and approved criteria.
c) Review the technical rigour of the community project assessment reports and work with the other members of the PMT to recommend which project applications should be prioritised for investment.
d) Co-operate with the Engineer Officer and District and Community technical experts in supervising the technical design and construction work of the projects that have been selected. Assist in closely monitoring the performance of contractors, and support monitoring the quality of works.
e) Based on regular reviews of the RFPs received, draw up a set of technical specifications that prospective biomass fuel supply contractors will need to meet. It is expected that a specialist technology provider will be used to provide prospective biomass fuel suppliers with a complete package consisting of the necessary equipment, finance, training, maintenance and repair services. The technical specifications drawn up by the PMT Engineer/Renewable Energy Officer will be agreed upon by the technology provider to ensure that the equipment and associated financing package that they provide is optimally matched to the needs of individual projects.
f) Work alongside the Business Development Officer and Procurement Officer in providing the necessary technical support to municipal authorities and potential fuel suppliers, with respect to quality control of fuel supplies and the formulation of fuel supply contracts.
g) Assist the Engineer Project Officer in all tasks related to the implementation of municipal biomass heating projects as required.
a) Provide assistance to the PMT Procurement Specialist on the technical / engineering content of the Request for Letters of Interest (LOI) and the Prequalification Requests (PQRs), issued to solicit responses from prospective Design-Build contractors. Assist the PMT Procurement Specialist in evaluating the technical / engineering aspects of the Statements of Qualification (SOQs) received.
b) Provide assistance to the PMT Procurement Specialist and the International Design-Build Advisor on the technical / engineering aspects of: (i) developing and issuing requests for proposals (RFPs) to implement the projects that have been selected for investment; (ii) evaluating the proposals received; (iii) drawing up the Design-Build contracts with the successful contractors.
Market development for biomass heating, industrial co-generation and biomass briquetting
a) Work with other members of the PMT to engage with relevant national authorities on addressing the policy, legislation and regulation issues surrounding the development of biomass energy markets. This includes:
- identification of best-practice with regard to the emissions standards of biomass boilers,
- performance and construction standards for biomass heating systems,
- technical standards for system components, waste management.
b) Work with other members of the PMT to facilitate the implementation of at least one agri-industrial cogeneration plant using own-produced biomass waste. This will involve:
- conducting a detailed survey of available technologies and their technical characteristics;
- identifying potential users of biomass industrial cogeneration who generate a suitable biomass waste stream;
- prioritizing the most promising sites for a demonstration project, based on technical criteria;
- providing the necessary technical data on potential demonstration projects to allow a detailed financial appraisals to be carried out.
c) Work with other members of the PMT to develop and implement a deployment strategy for pilot biomass briquetting/pelleting plant(s). This will involve:
- reviewing existing and past biomass briquetting/pelleting initiatives in Moldova;
- surveying available briquetting technologies;
- identifying suitable sources of raw materials;
- providing the necessary technical data to assess the viability of commercial biomass briquetting and to develop a business plan.
Training, education, media and outreach
a) Provide input for the technical content of training materials on biomass energy systems targeted at municipal leaders, at design-build firms, at system operators and at commercial biomass fuel suppliers. Advise the Training and Capacity Building Officer as required.
b) Review the technical rigour and accuracy of media packages, press releases, pieces for radio and TV and all other public communications relating to the project. Advise the Media Officer as necessary.
- Assist the Project Manager in the development of annual activity and procurement work plans as well as budgets based on expected year-end outputs, and assist in the close monitoring of activities and disbursements.
- Apply UNDP programming tools and policies as explained in the Results Management Guide. Keep abreast of UNDP programming practices and maintain an optimum level of knowledge by continuous learning.
- Contribute to the wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local and national levels.