International consultant to revise the statistical infrastructure and the system of indicators for e-development analysis - Statistics Project
Vacancy Number: 68 /Pr-2009
According to the global assessment of the statistical system of Moldova against EU requirements undertaken (by Willem de Vries, May 2007), out of the annual EU data requirements on information society statistics, which envisage three kinds of surveys (enterprise survey, financial survey, household survey), Moldova can probably supply part of the enterprise data and some of the financial and household data.
A comprehensive assessment of the ICT statistical system should be conducted to reveal the additional needs of public administration authorities in terms of measuring the national outcome indicators in the field of information and communication technologies, to afterwards be discussed and endorsed by the specialists from the National Bureau of Statistics, the Ministry of Information Development (MID) and its subordinated units, and be suggested for putting in practice.
Scope of work:
The United Nations Development Programme Moldova, through its Joint Project on Strengthening the National Statistical System, is seeking to employ one international consultant, with relevant experience in fields related to the present call of proposals, who will provide the necessary conceptual and practical support in:
- revision of the statistical infrastructure (information flows, toolkit, etc.) and the system of indicators for e-development analysis, and
- revision of methodology and questionnaires to be applied for 2009 Surveys and Studies in a few fields of e-development, with the support of UNDP e-Governance Project.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Make proposals on the selection of priority indicators needed to monitor the e-development in Moldova in compliance with identified national policy needs and international standards;
- Contribute to the detailed methodological description of the indicators chosen/envisaged for the e-development monitoring and those included in the statistical questionnaires for their proper interpretation;
- Provide recommendations and contribute on division of responsibilities related to data collection, production and dissemination of e-development indicators among the national public authorities (Ministry of Information Development (http://www.mdi.gov.md), National Regulatory Agency for Electronic Communications and Information Technology (http://en.anrceti.md), National Bureau of Statistics (http://www.statistica.md);
- Give an expert review on each stage of implementation of the surveys in the field of ICT with the support of UNDP (e-Household Survey, e-Business Survey, e-Government Survey, e-Education Survey, e-Health Study, e-Culture Study), namely: preparation, field implementation and final results delivery (including content of the questionnaires, the methodology of the survey implementation, sampling, etc.);
- Undertake any further requested revisions and return revised final draft by deadline.
Qualifications and skills required:
- Advanced degree in statistics, computer science, public administration, governance, economics, and/or other areas relevant for the assignment;
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in ICT area connected with statistical indicators;
- Previous experience with methodological and strategic documents formulation;
- Experience in project and programme implementation in ICT sector;
- Experience in working with international organizations and UN agencies in particular;
Competencies and Skills:
- Knowledge of the peculiarities of statistical sector (statistical processes and practices, methodologies, etc.);
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of ICT and e-Strategy development issues and relevant work experience;
- Familiarity with European/international standards and best practices in ICT statistics;
- Ability to analyse, plan, communicate effectively orally and in writing, draft report, solve problems, organize and meet expected results, adapt to different environments (cultural, economic, political and social);
- Knowledge of Romanian will be an asset;
- Fluency in English orally and in writing;
Personal Qualities Skills:
- Possess good interpersonal skills, solid judgement/decision making, initiative and creativity. Be a team player.
Terms of Reference
Personal History Form (P11)
Interested persons should submit their applications, consisting of a duly completed Personal History Form (P11), Cover letter/letter of interest and a Financial Proposal (fee per assignment) for carrying out the tasks, with the mark/email subject: "Statistics – ICT infrastructure review" by 10 August 2009, 11:30 (Moldova time), to the following address: UNDP Office, 131, 31 August str., MD 2012, Chisinau Moldova, or alternatively by email to email@example.com.
Only those short listed will be contacted.
Failure of candidates to submit a duly completed P11 form, as well as false representations on this form, shall constitute sufficient grounds for withdrawal of further consideration of the application. All information provided in the P11 form will be treated as strictly confidential.